Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Coava Kone Filter

koava kone
Coava Kone
  Today, I'll do a review on the Coava Kone metal filter.  It's designed to be used in a Chemex pour over (more on chemex soon).  It's a single sheet of stainless steel with laser etched holes folded into shape and provides a reusable solution for pour over filter. With introductions out of the way, let's brew a cup!

kone holes
holes!
A closeup shot of the holes.  You can see it's a quality made product (made in USA) and it's very nice to look at.
Kone inside
Kone inside
I've had this Kone for about 1.5 years, using it on an almost daily basis.  As you can see, there's not much noticeable wear nor did it lose any shine.  Following the procedure I detailed here, the cup I get is like an in between french press and paper filter.  While it's not as bright a cup as paper filter, it also eliminates a lot of the bitterness and grit usually found in french press.
coffee oils
oil spill
As you can see, there is a perceivable layer of oil.  It may come down to preference, but I enjoy having some oils in my coffee.  That's why I found the Kone to be such a great tool for me.  For other people who're not so big on french press, the taste benefits of the Kone might not apply.  In which case, you're probably safer going paper filter route, especially since this thing isn't cheap (50 when I bought).  All in all, I really love the Kone but the preference for how much oils you want (and money to spend) will be the deciding factor.










No comments:

Post a Comment