Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Coffee Review: Colombia Hacienda El Roble

Colombia Hacienda El Roble
Colombia Hacienda El Roble straight out of packaging
Yesterday I got the Colombia Hacienda El Roble from Stumptown Coffee Roasters. It's a direct trade, single origin coffee and marks the second coffee I've bought from them.  The first one (forget the name) wasn't bad, but it didn't stand out at all. However, I kept on hearing good things about stumptown so I gave it another try - Let's see how it does this time around


Colombia Hacienda El Roble insert card
insert card
With every bag from Stumptown, you get a little insert card like this instead of having it printed on a bag.  This is a simple great idea! Most people probably don't and shouldn't keep their coffee in the bag it comes in, and instead is probably like this:

Colombia Hacienda El Roble stored
ta da!
The insert card was pretty high quality so it wasn't easy to tape down.. haha.  Anyways, flavors.  The two things that really caught my eye were "thick chocolate" and "silken, sweet and creamy body".  This might be the first time I've seen thick and silken used together, does this really work? Let's brew a cup and find out!
Colombia Hacienda El Roble Chemex brew
Chemex brew!
During the brew process, and including the beans themselves, the aroma wasn't as strong as some of the other coffees I've had.  Considering the freshness of the coffee, I found this rather surprising.  I thought this might be a sign of things to come, but boy am I glad I was wrong.  The first sip of this coffee was amazing!  This wasn't the usual coffee bitterness or acidity with some chocolate hints. This was I think it's more chocolaty than my 80% dark chocolate, and I'm not even exaggerating.  To my pleasant surprise, the body was very silky smooth.  I wouldn't say this coffee has a lot of complex flavors and subtleties.  What it is, is an incredibly smooth cup that has the an unbelievably tasty chocolate flavor.  Usually, I have my morning coffee with breakfast and around halfway through my cup, the coffee's taste doesn't demand my attention anymore.  With this cup, I have enjoying it full attention the entire time.  I'm sure you can tell by now, but this is becoming one of my favorites.  I just hope the intensity and smoothness won't fade much over time!

No comments:

Post a Comment