Thursday, July 5, 2012

New Arrival: Black Cat Classic Espresso

Black Cat Red Label
Black Cat Classic Espresso is a classic
Today, I received the Black Cat Classic Espresso coffee blend from Intelligentsia Coffee online coffee store. I have heard about this espresso for longer than I can remember yet this is the first time I bought some.  For some reason, I really like the packaging for this coffee.  The red and black and the SMELL when I first took it out the box is really enticing.  I could talk about how good it smell all day, but let's get to how it tastes!



Black Cat in a can
Mmm keeping it fresh
There it goes straight into my other AirScape Can to keep it tasting good for weeks to come!  Anyways, I started out on a 16 on the Rocky for shot number 1.  I've noticed the Presso does better with coarser ground than you would use for a regular espresso machine.
shot 1
Presso shot #1
The volume is a bit low and the taste is on the sour side.  However, the flavor is really intense with both bitter and chocolate.  It wasn't terrible but it's not how Intelligentsia describes this coffee so I figured I'll try again.  This time using a 17 on the grinder:
shot 2
Presso shot #2
The volume is still on the low side, but taste-wise it's much less sour.  I could really taste the syrup, smoothness of the coffee.  It's a really balanced tasting espresso.  However, I could still taste some sour.  I'm beginning to think this is due to the Presso instead of grind/tamp.  I think the Presso just has too much temperature variance and probably doesnt provide enough pressure.  I admit I've been eyeing the Crossland CC1 recently, and while I should be blowing 700 bucks right now it's really tempting! Spending spree aside, I really like this espresso blend.  It's the type of coffee that provides consistency and quality.  It won't be new, but it'll be good every time.  On a side note, I believe those bubbles means the coffee is too fresh.  I will try again in 2-3 days and see if there's a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment